Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sports Day at WIS

This is a video of my Sports Day at Windhoek International School (WIS). WIS students are divided into three 'houses' (lions, leopards, and cheetahs)--just like in the Harry Potter movies. Sports Day is when the three houses compete against each other in athletic events.

One event is team walking which is when 5 people stand on two boards with a rope to hold onto. You have to step together to make the boards go forward. Whoever gets to the finish line first wins. When my team (Leopards) did it, we came in second because our boards overlapped and we had to straighten them out. We almost caught up with the other team, but didn't make it.

We did an obstacle course where you have to step into 4 tires, go over a hurdle, go under a hurdle, and go over another hurdle. Then you go around a pole and come back. The cheetah team did not have enough players, so I played for them, sadly.

Then there was a race in which three people from each house raced. I got a late start so I ended last. It was a 40m dash.

There was a wheelbarrow race in which a person got into a wheelbarrow, and the other person pushed him. When you got to the finish line, you switched places, and you came back to where you started. I was with Lushano, but I was too much of a weight for him!

The last thing I did was a tug of war challenge against the other teams. We lost the first round against the Lions because one of the Lions' dads helped them pull. But, we faced the Cheetahs and won that time. When all of the other grades had gone (the Leopards won many of those) the entire house (all grades) came together and pulled. The parents were invited too. We lost because the other teams had about 20 parents on their side, and we only had my dad and Lushano's dad on our side.

At the end of the day, they announced which houses had won. The contest was divided into primary and secondary. I'm in secondary (Year 7 and up). Primary is Year 6 and down. The primary Leopards got third place, but the secondary Leopards got first place. When the added all of the scores together for the overall prize, the Leopards got second place, and the Lions got first place. We only lost by 119 to 113 points. Just 6 points, which is very few.

This is a picture of me and Jose holding the first place Secondary trophy. But, we didn't get to keep it. It gets displayed in my PE teachers classroom. His name is Mr. Beukes and he put the day together.

The overall day was very fun, and I liked helping my house get first place in the Secondary.


1 comment:

knot-head said...

Wow! That looked like a fun day. Congratulations to you and your team for doing so well. :)